Common Applications / Private Applications
Checklist for Common Application & Private Applications IF YOU ARE USING THE COMMON APPLICATION, OR APPLYING TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS THAT REQUIRE A GUIDANCE COUNSELOR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION, THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED BY MID-OCTOBER:
· Your Transcript
- If you attended a different high school that was out of the country, or any other high school, a copy of your transcript from that school must be sent as well. You may request a copy of this transcript from your guidance counselor if you do not have one.
The Secondary School Report must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor. If you need the College Office staff to write this letter for you, you must also submit a completed Student Information Sheet (available in the College Office) and/or a resume. If you have your college essay completed (even if it is only a rough draft) you may include that as well, if you believe it will shed light on your character or accomplishments.
Please be sure to fill out your personal information on the top of these forms, and to sign your name. Many colleges prefer that you waive your rights to see your recommendations, but the choice is yours.
Manila Envelopes (10 x 13) should be addressed to each college to which you are applying. The return address must be the school address. You must also provide sufficient postage for each envelope.
• If you are mailing a check or money order, you may include this in your application packet as well. If you are eligible to receive a College Board fee waiver (you are entitled to FOUR fee waivers if you used a College Board fee waiver to take the SAT), you MUST inform the College Office staff when you submit your application materials. You will need to fill out a portion of the fee waiver, and provide your signature.
• Reminder: You must have your SAT and/or ACT scores sent directly from the testing agency (either http://www.collegeboard.com/ for the SAT, or http://www.actstudent.org/for the ACT) to each college to which you are applying. Do this as soon as possible, so there are no delays in processing your application.
• At this point, nothing needs to be submitted for CUNY or CUNY Macaulay Honors College, as your application (and letters of recommendation if required) will be completed exclusively online.
• You only need to submit materials to SUNY by mid-October if you are applying to SUNY through the Common Application. If you are using the SUNY application, please see the handout, “SUNY Application Checklist,” for instructions.